Saturday, February 12, 2011

Turning 21

I had moved around my days at work to maximize my party time, the celebration of my best friend's 21st birthday and my recovery period after all of our festivities.

"Hey, is Tara coming out with us tonight?  I'm just trying to get an idea of whose gonna be there," Kat was beaming.  She was a bigger party girl than I was, although she had been doing so illegally until now.

I shrugged.

"She said she might, but probably not.  Kinda depends on where we go."

Tara was my kind-of-but-not-really girlfriend.  We hung out, we cuddled, we kissed and shared her bed sometimes but nothing was official.  I also hung out, cuddled, kissed and shared a bed with her roommate, Mark, but we certainly weren't dating.  Mark and I had been friends with benefits for months now, and despite my attraction to him, I knew he would never be tied down - but his charisma still kept me sucked in.  It was never awkward having a pseudo-relationship with two people from the same home; the two of them never had any sort of relationship with each other and there was never any jealousy.  I was young, single and having fun exploring my sexual side.  It sounds complicated, but it certainly wasn't.

"Holly, Emily and Claire are definitely joining us downtown, so even if nobody else is free, we have a good group going," Kat continued, smiling broadly.  She was the last of our group of friends to turn 21, but since it was the middle of the week, a lot of our friends wouldn't be joining us that night.  I couldn't wait to have my best friend and partner in crime by my side as we prowled the bar scene.

We had decided we would all meet at Holly's loft and walk to a nearby bar.  When we arrived, Emily and Claire were already there.  The excitement in the air was palpable as we giggled and squealed amongst ourselves on our short walk to the bar.

"It's my birthdaaaay!" Kat repeated for possibly the twentieth time that night, and we all laughed as we raised our drinks.  As we talked and laughed and finished up our second round of beers, the bartender brought us a free round of jello shots in honor of Kat's birthday.

We lifted our shots in the air and smiled broadly for the camera.



We laughed again and finished our shots, and soon we were heading to our second bar of the night, a local hotspot that was offering $1 drinks and sure to be crowded.  The night was just beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment