Thursday, February 17, 2011

Matchmaker, matchmaker

Kat and I settled into a booth at a local place called Johnny's.  After her birthday festivities the night before, we were looking to do something a little more low key.  Tara would be meeting us there later on, and had offered to bring a guy friend to introduce to Kat with the hopes of playing matchmaker.  Kat was a pretty girl, petite with large green eyes, full lips and dark hair.  Something about her face had always reminded me of Adriana Lima, although I wouldn't say they looked alike.  She wasn't lacking in the looks department, but sometimes her attitude scared guys off.

A few of Kat's other friends showed up first, and we all laughed and joked as we sipped on our drinks and told hilarious stories to one another.  The mood was light and airy, and I thought to myself how great it was to be surrounded by friends and feeling a warmth creeping into my cheeks as the alcohol took effect.

I looked up and smiled when I heard Tara's voice.  She was taller than me by a few inches with beautiful bone structure and a smattering of freckles across her fair skin.  Tara had a beautiful smile and gorgeous cheekbones. I had always envied her bone structure and often told her so.  Standing with her was her friend Chris.  He was tall, with dark brown hair and green eyes.  Something about him was familiar but I couldn't place it.  Either we had met before or he reminded me of someone I had met before.  It was hard to say, since I had made quite a few friends while out drinking and didn't always remember them when we ran into each other again.  He didn't seem to know me, though and I pushed the thought away.

They each pulled up a chair and introductions were made.  By that point, most of us had quite a buzz going on and Kat was already leaning more towards the "drunk" end of the spectrum.  Sometimes when she drank, she became somewhat belligerent  and unfriendly.  I could already tell this might be one of those nights, and my head swam with disappointment.

Soon enough, Kat's friends decided to leave, which just left Kat, Tara, Chris and myself.  Kat couldn't seem less interested in Chris and I was surprised to find that I was relieved instead of disappointed.  In the short time since he'd arrived, I felt a growing attraction towards him and spent a large portion of the night laughing and flirting with him and Tara.

Time seemed to fly by as we all continued drinking, talking and laughing, and eventually I noticed Kat had become somewhat sullen.  I excused myself to go to the bathroom and Tara followed.

"She's drunk...and definitely not interested, huh?" Tara laughed as we washed our hands.

"Nah, she's made that pretty clear since he arrived.  But that's okay, because I am," I teased with a wink.

"Really?  Me, too.  We should take him back to my place and seduce him," she bit her lip playfully and we both laughed. 

I couldn't tell if she was serious or not, but I was about to find out.

1 comment: